Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Compliments














I have always appreciated beauty, but I really learned to "see" in Art School. The teacher instructed us to look at our palms. "How many colors do you see?", she said. After that my eyes opened wider.

I don't remember when I started giving compliments away freely to complete strangers.

I think I started after my Dad died. When I learned life was too short. Someone could be gone before you tell them what you wanted to. People need to be told the good things, or they may never know. Once I started appreciating more of what I was seeing, there was more to compliment.

So I became the Pied Piper of compliments. I still do it all the time, but it makes some people uncomfortable. For that reason, I try to keep it to a "drive by" compliment. I say it as I'm walking by them. "That color is fabulous on you", "you look lovely", "cool shirt". I do it slowly enough to be able to see a reaction and most people seem to appreciate it, and that makes me feel good too.


I never get tired of hearing compliments.
John Lithgow 
 

There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments. 
Chris Rock


I can take criticisms but not compliments. 
James Taylor


I don't take compliments so well. I always hang my head and shuffle and kind of try to immediately forget.
Laurie Anderson 




No comments: