Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Practically Naked















Witness now the downfall of my morning's acceptable clothing to drive my child to school in.

In the beginning I would walk my daughter through the school yard, chit chat with the other parents and greet the teachers. I would have my clothes on for work, my hair brushed, a bit of make up on and my teeth cleaned. The weather was nice and the year was fresh and new.

It was a slow demise. As the year progressed she no longer needed to be walked through the school yard. She was more comfortable with her surroundings. I could now drop her off and be home alone for thirty minutes. This was the beginning of the end. First I stopped applying make up. When the winter came I would just throw a coat over whatever I had on. Then I started wearing a Baseball Cap with a ponytail. Last but not least I wasn't going to be talking to anyone so why brush?

In the Spring, thirty minutes became forty five and the coat was replaced with a sweater. After a few weeks of feeling comfortable with the new me, I started leaving the house in whatever I had slept in. (or at least what wound up on my bed) After all, who's looking? Now I'm just your basic Mom, dropping my kid off in the car. The kind of woman I watched with horror. "How could she leave the house like that?" Well, it's pretty easy.

Today was the last day of school. I rose early, dressed, made up, brushed and went directly to work after the drop off. I was forty minutes early, even my boss noticed.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

No comments: