Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Time













In 1968 The Chambers Brothers came out with a song "Time has come Today". It was eleven minutes long and at the end of the song, they kept repeating the word TIME at slower and slower intervals. This ending still echos in my head sometimes when I think about the way everything seems so hurried today.

Everyone seems to need instant gratification. Maybe it began with the microwave. Frozen meals, known in the 50's as TV Dinners took about 30 - 45 minutes in the oven. Which seemed fast back then. Now you can throw a hot pocket in the microwave and eat it in as little as 2 minutes. If that isn't quick enough for you try wrapping a hotdog in a bun with a paper towel for forty seconds.

Remember the days when you had to wait a few years for a movie to make it from the theater to TV? Now you can download it in moments.

How much is instant gratification ruining our lives?
How do you teach patience to a child in this hurry up world?

My microwave broke last week. Ugh!

3 comments:

said...

One of my favorite alt-country artists (although I don't like his latest album) Steve Earle, covered "Time Has Come Today," complete with dubbed-in rants by Abbie Hoffman, and Sheryl Crowe singing along. You can hear it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjlIEC8tr-A

Enjoyed your blog and will visit again. I found it via your comment on Life in 2D/3D.

cynical.girl said...

Thanks Tyge! I see you're a Robyn Hitchcock fan. Impressive.

said...

Ooooh, Robyn. He can do wrong, although he can put out an inferior album once in a blue moon. I've seen him perform twice, the first time being a story in itself --a future post that will have to wait.

I still have a T-shirt from his 1992 tour.