Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Running With Scissors


















I am a relatively healthy senior citizen (at the moment). I am the correct weight for my height, and I am not on any medications. Because of my age, my shoulders are lighter in regards to being a “bad girl” in the health department.
For instance if I started smoking an occasional cigarette I don’t think I run the risk of getting lung cancer. Nor do I believe alcohol will effect my liver. Candy will no longer rot my teeth and running with scissors is not on my list of no no’s because I don’t run anymore.
So you see, aging has many advantages. I like the silver streaks in my hair and the lines in my face show character.

For me, there is one disadvantage to being a senior in this day and age. I always looked young for my age, which often led to not being heard, or taken seriously. It felt disrespectful and I imagined that as I aged I would be shown more respect, simply because my age would become more obvious. Much to my dismay as I changed, so has the world. Respect seems to have fallen by the wayside. The youth of today doesn’t care about wisdom or experience. Too many people know everything and so few want to listen.

The occasions I feel most respected are when I am among my peers. We are united in our previous struggles. We fought some hard battles, and we won many of them. Now we stand our ground banded together clinging to what unified us. I appreciate those even brief encounters more everyday.

So here are my words of wisdom to the youth of America. Smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish, eat candy in the economy size and run. Run, as fast as you can.
Because karma is a bitch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I see you're still writing. Nice post.

Tyge said...

Those two above comments were from me. Ugh.

Unknown said...

Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Great observations of our journey .