Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Elephant

















There was a young man who could make his hand walk and talk like an elephant. Well, in reality his mouth made the elephant sound, but it didn't really matter. The elephant would walk across the table, lift it's trunk in various directions and heights as if to smell the air for your presence. Once it found you it would sniff and make funny noises and somehow emote joy in the find.

Not every person lacks the inhibition it takes to enjoy this form of play. Luckily for me I knew someone who could. This small gesture would always make me laugh and lift my spirits. I'm sure the elephant grew tired of performing, as did the young man.

One day the young man put his hand in his pocket and got up and left. It must be stressful to achieve the same level of excellence day in and day out. Perhaps someone stopped believing in his worth so he stopped believing too.

Small gifts like this are precious.

As a child I saw real elephants dressed in silly outfits doing tricks at the circus.
I know I did because my parents told me I did.

I have no memory of those elephants.

No comments: