Pages

Saturday, May 07, 2011

Off With Her Head


















The women who's lived behind me for over ten years now, is not friendly. Our yards are divided by a simple chain link fence. She has two little girls who are close to the same age as my daughter. The girls often congregate at the fence to talk. My daughter asks me time and again if they can play together, my response is always the same. It's fine with me if it's okay with their mother. It's never okay.

I see this women on her daily walk and she acts as if she doesn't know me.

I am not bothered that she treats me poorly. However, my heart bleeds for my daughter. There are no children on our block her age. The three girls really seem to like each other. The sisters have a pool and a swing set, and my kid stands watching them play from a distance.

A few weeks ago on my way to work I passed the girls mother walking with another women. The women she walks with has always been friendly. I pulled over and got out of my car to speak to my unfriendly neighbor.
I wanted to find out why she wouldn't let the girls play together. I figured now was as good a time as any.

"Can you answer a question I've been struggling with?" I said "Why won't you let our girls play together?"
This was her reply: "It's our family policy, they aren't allowed to play with neighbors" I was dumb struck.
I repeated what she said, looked at the nice lady quizzically, said "oh, okay then" and got back into my car. As I drove off, passing both ladies walking I waved. The nice lady waved back.

I was not aware we had a Royal bloodline in our midst.

No comments: