Pages

Saturday, April 09, 2011

In your Facebook














My job requires me to be on Facebook daily.
I had my own page for a couple of years and in the beginning I really enjoyed it. Finding people I'd lost touch with, seeing how their children had grown, trying to write clever status updates, reading comments.
Yes, I played Farmville ~ but let's save that for another blog.

I was disappointed that there was less to talk about when I saw some friends in person. Their walls sometimes told the whole story, and often the conversation became a mere regurgitation of that, with an added who said what, or who friended who.
I soon stopped caring and thought "What happened to real conversation?"

People who didn't set up privacy settings would be upset by what they felt was some sort of stalking behavior. I thought if there are things I don't want people to see, why are they my Facebook friends, it was time to rethink and un-friend.

Once the status shuffle app was created I was less impressed with the wit of certain friends. I also became leery of my adult friends who had too many friends. I had a brief stint as a Facebook whore, but it made me feel dirty and cheap so I reconsidered and un-friended.

I've seen friends post over 300 pictures at a time, including the blurry ones, the concept of editing is obviously lost on these people. Then there are the illness, death and operations postings. Talk about privacy, do these things need to be in a public forum? Lets not forget the Birthday post... the only control you have over this is if you purposely don't list your birthday. Which I have done. Only to be disappointed when only two friends posted a birthday wish on my wall. It's sick, I'm sick, Facebook is sick.

I had to say to myself "Just Don't do it"

Wow, I haven't seen that person in years!! (yeah, I wonder why?)

Facebook drives me nuts!

No comments: