Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Dirty Old Men




















They are dead now, these "MEN."

I know I am not alone. I know many women have stories much worse than mine. I also understand that a man does not have to be old to be guilty of abominable behavior. Taking advantage of unsuspecting or innocent young women or girls or anyone is never acceptable.

I had an uncle, he drank a lot. That man could not keep his tongue in his own mouth. Then there was the older shop owner who offered me a ride to school.... I knew that man for years, he had been a friend to my mother and I, we shopped there often before that early morning ride to school.

Bosses and supervisors made crude remarks, jokes and close the door demands. Behind closed doors were underlining suggestions of benefits vs humiliation. I learned as I truly believe many of my peers did to go along with it.

The best way for me to deal with the unwanted comments was the art of the one liner shut down. It showed I had a quick wit, could fend for myself, and that I was not interested. It did however, keep me in the game. My adult experiences, differed from my younger ones because once innocence was lost, knowledge was gained.

After all, I knew I would never get ahead unless I went full throttle. I wasn’t an ambitious person to begin with, I had simple goals that were met at an early age. So I played the game intent on busting as many stones as possible.

I can’t say I never lost a job over my unwillingness to be obedient and get dirty. I also can’t say that bouncing back was easy. I am happy that young women today have a louder voice. I still think it’s going to take awhile to see a true difference, if things can really ever change.

Beware all daughters out there. Dead men have sons.

No comments: